The original Musical and Amicable Society was founded in 1762 by James Kempson, who directed the choir at St Bartholomew’s Chapel, Birmingham. Together with fellow musicians from St Philip’s Church (now Birmingham Cathedral), Kempson and his singers gathered on a regular basis at Cooke’s tavern in the Cherry Orchard “for practice and recreation”.
In 2003, Kate Fawcett and Martin Perkins decided to revive this historic society as a collective of professional period-instrument specialists, performing in combinations ranging from small ensembles to full orchestra. Their presiding ethos is one of chamber music – however large or small the formation – where each and every performer has a significant role to play. Rapidly in demand, the Society now performs regularly throughout the country, including an annual tour of Christmas concerti. Individually, Musical and Amicable Society’s members maintain successful freelance careers with some of Europe’s most prestigious period-instrument ensembles. Collectively, they delight in exploring Baroque and Classical repertoire, both familiar and forgotten, recreating the soundscape of an earlier era for a twenty-first century audience. As well as researching and devising their own programmes, they have also enjoyed collaborations with enlightened choirs to breathe new life into choral masterpieces.
Recordings on BCR
www.amicables.co.uk (opens in a new window)